Friday, March 28, 2014

God whispers

I don’t always like to share personal things on the blog but here goes…

Has God ever whispered to you before? Let me give you a few examples of how God has whispered to me in my own life.

Back in 2007 there was a young girl in my class whose parents were traveling to Africa. I was immediately intrigued and curious as to why they were traveling there so I asked the little girl and she simply said, “to feed the orphans.” At that moment my heart dropped, the holy spirit was pulling at my heart and  speaking to me through the eyes of this young girl in front of me. After her parents came back from their trip I met with her mom and she shared her experiences with me. After much prayer I realized God was calling me to travel with Heart for Africa and go to a small country in Africa, Swaziland. This trip was an experience that changed my life!

When I was 40 weeks and 2 days pregnant (with Sophia) Pat and I went walking in Brunswick. We walked for 3 miles and it felt like forever. I remember we talked about how we wanted to have our children close together. But as soon as Sophia was born I have to admit having another child was furthest from my mind. I couldn’t wrap my head around having even one child, and I had no idea how people could have multiple children. I was so sleep deprived and hormonal. However, as crazy as it is I knew when she was 6 weeks old that I wanted to have another baby someday -- hopefully two years apart. Here we are today and we are expecting our second daughter May 1st and our little girls will be 25 months apart.

We traveled to Denmark for vacation when Sophia was 3 months old. On our flight home there was another couple traveling beside us who went to Europe with their two young daughters. Their daughters were 8 months and almost 3 years old. It was really strange, but undeniably God whispered again. I just remember thinking how the couple reminded me of Pat and myself because of the way they interacted with each other and their children. I thought maybe it was God’s way of saying "you’ll have two little ones soon." At the time I obviously didn’t know if we were going to have another girl or a boy, but I do think He was preparing me again for the future when He made me notice that family with two little girls.
Traveling in Denmark
Just today I was encouraged at the grocery store. I’ve been feeling pretty tired this week and the weather hasn't helped because it’s been cold and snowy. I was in line at the check-out when a woman  came over to me and said, “I just have to give you a compliment that someone gave me when I was pregnant. You don’t look pregnant from behind at all. I didn’t realize you were having a baby until you turned around and I saw the baby.” I thanked her and my eyes started to tear up. I tried not to let her see that her comment made me all emotional. I love how God can use people to encourage you when you’re feeling down or need the extra love. It really wasn’t the comment itself that made me feel loved, it was the fact that she was so genuine and sincere that really made me feel loved. So thanks for the love today - whoever you are! 

How about you? Have you had moments in your life where God has prepared you for your future?

If you haven’t, I dare you to pay attention because oftentimes He speaks so quietly we can miss what He is saying. Just be open to what He has in store for you. I hope this encourages you today. Have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment